Running and Triathlon Coach

With the mindset of wellbeing, inside and outside. Health, nutrition and awareness are the pillars of this blog.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Imagine Starting Weight Lifting at 90 Years Old

Imagine Starting Weight Lifting at 90 Years Old

Posted By Dr. Mercola | April 05 2011 | 255 views

Charles Eugster was always a very sickly child. He was pale, sluggish and his growth was slow. He became athletic in his teens to improve his health, but when he reached middle age, he gradually became sedentary once again.

But then at 60, he discovered veteran's rowing and started competing internationally, winning many gold medals. But at 85 he had a crisis. He was overweight, his posture was terrible and his muscle had deteriorated.  So in his late 80's he joined a bodybuilding club.

According to his article in the Guardian:

"My circulation and posture improved, and I was told that there was a chance more muscle mass could protect my brain from Alzheimer's. I stopped thinking about dying. As I approached 90, my focus was on getting my body back.  In 2008, I signed up for my first championship ... Then, at last year's event in Germany, I triumphed, scoring higher than any contestant in any age category for my 57 dips, 61 chin-ups, 50 push-ups and 48 abdominal crunches, each in 45 seconds."

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment